Sunday, May 30, 2010

Toowong Cemetery Part 1 - Jack the Ripper?

So since the start of the year Justin and I have this new past-time hobby of going to the local cemetery, which for us is one of the biggest in Brisbane - the Toowong Cemetery.  We were sitting around doing nothing one Sunday in January and I had the idea of going to go check out the place, because I'd never walked through a cemetery and though it might be interesting.  Then I googled the history of the place and 'urban legends' - I am completely obsesses by UB's, I'll have to do a post about what I've found out over the years - anyway I discovered that a Jack the Ripper suspect is buried in TC.  It took us two days to find the grave because the first time I didn't bring a map but find him we did!

Anyway today we went with Justin's sister Sian and her beautiful little doggy Monty for a walk through TC.  We wanted to show her some of our finds in particular Mr J. Ripper and I took a few snaps of my favourite graves that I'll talk about spread over blog posts.

Our suspect Mr Walter Porriott was buried in 1952 in the same grave as his last wife Eliza (known as 'Bessie) - the surviving generation of Porriott's claim that he is not named on the grave because of a deeply shameful reason that no-one has discussed since that era.

The gravestone has been damaged but you can go to the Brisbane Times article to see it in it's former glory.  This is a shot of the gravestone listing of Eliza and Walter.


This is a shot of the grave from Sian's blog - because Justin pulled horrid faces in the shots I took!


This grave site can be found at "Portion 7A, Section 185, Grave Number 9/10".  The map for the west side of the cemetery can be found here and the east side can be found here if you'd like to have a look for some graves yourself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment