Monday, May 31, 2010

Toowong Cemetery Part 2 - Impressive Grave Sites

These are some of the bigger grave sites in Toowong Cemetery that caught my attention.  First up two shots of the monuments for Mayne.  I haven't read the Mayne Inheritance yet, but I did do a bit of snooping into who the Mayne family were and they were pretty big around Brisbane.  For one the university I go to (University of Queensland) I'm told the land was donated by the Mayne's.



And I live just across the road from where their main estate used to be - it is now part of the Wesley Hospital.  They of course also have a very interesting involvement with some murders in Brisbane, which I believe is what the bulk of the Mayne Inheritance is about.  And here's an urban legend for you - supposedly there have been a few incidents of a 'red liquid' seeping out from the grates below this monument.. ooooh creepy! ;)




Next up is Governor Samuel Blackall's monument.  It is by far the largest and most imposing monument in the cemetery - and to top it all off it sits on the highest point of the grounds, so I'm pretty sure you can see it from the highway but don't quote me on it.


Not sure if this is anyone important, but I was struck by how nice the sculptures were on this one.  Love how creepy the photo looks too!

Now Bonus photo - City views in the afterlife!



No comments:

Post a Comment