Monday, August 16, 2010

My Crazy Craft Obsession

I have always wanted to be good at one craft thing.  My first blog was about knitting - which is one of the crafts that my mother is absolutely fantastic at - alas (Update!) I have to tell you my knitting adventure was a complete failure.  Thankfully my lovely mum is almost finished the scarf for Justin so he at least HAS one!

So I'm moving onto sewing and felt craft!  For as long as I can remember I've looked with utter confusion at the piles of fabrics; with complete wonder at clothes/toys/furnishings made by this contraption called a sewing machine.  Last Saturday I bit the bullet, stole my mum's sewing machine and hit the fabric stores/bookstores/craft blogs - here are the results!


My modest little fabric pile - augh I could have bought so much more!  Poor store assistants, I sucked them dry for information on the differences between the fabrics - but hell I spent enough!  The top three are all 100% cotton, I'm hoping to make a little quilt from the yellow ones and maybe a skirt from the red stripy one.   The pink fabric is for a secret project, so shhh.  I also got a teal one and a grey stretch blend to make dress pants.


My not-so-modest felt pile.  These are mixture of different felt materials.. I seem to have this love for the material, probably stemming back to making little toys with it when I was in primary school :3  It's so cheap and versatile; I'm particularly interested in making felt appliques to go onto things.  I'm already pretty handy with hand-sewing it's just the sewing machine I have to master!


I <3 Buttons so so so much!  I had to buy these cute mix packs, more buttons then you can poke a stick at!  Here we also see half of the pretty thread colours I bought to make my fabrics.


Finally, this is the book I bought from Borders.  It was fairly exxy @ $55 but it's one hell of a chunky book!  It goes into a lot of detail about different sewing techniques and is a really great starting point for a nubcake like me.  But in saying that there isn't much in it for exciting 'projects' which is why I want another half a dozen books already haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment