Monday, August 16, 2010

Music - Tunes of the Moment

Wow two updates in a day?  Yeah I stayed home from Uni because I was tired and felt really sick this morning - For those keeping tabs on me it's OKAY I'm going to my compulsory lecture/tute tonight, so there.

So something a little different today - I've been really getting into the movie soundtracks of In the Mood for Love and (500) Days of Summer.  I thought I'd share my standout songs from the movies, that really stuck out to me.  They're completely different films so I'll explain them and their soundtracks individually (and yes there's links.. there's always links!).


In the Mood for Love is a film from Hong Kong made in 2000.  It's a really odd story with very little talking, with a lot of emphasis put into camera positioning and repeated sequences to establish the moods.  It's really one of those 'love or hate' films.. I have to admit when I was made to watch it for class I may have fallen asleep, plus I hate having to read subtitles.. but when I read the synopsis and realised the actual storyline I could see the charm.  Anyway what really struck me in this movie is the sweet little soundtrack.. I instantly recognised the kind of spanish love songs that my grandmother would listen to and fell in love at first listen.  Turns out it was actually Nat King Cole singing in spanish, which I never knew - I love his voice, it reminds me of christmas time because my mum has his carols always playing.
There's also some violin - which always scores with me.

Songs:
Quizas, Quizas, Quizas - Nat King Cole
Aquellos Ojos Verdes - Nat King Cole
Yumeji's Theme - Shigeru Umebayashi
Angkor Wat Theme
Te Quiero Dijiste - Nat King Cole


(500) Days of Summer is a 2009 film, a story of 'boy meets girl' but with twist.  I've yet to meet someone that watches this film and hates it.  Plus I have the biggest girl crush on Zooey Deschanel, she is just too cute (even if she does break Joseph Gordon-Levitt's heart in this film).  The real winner in this movie are the The Smiths who are grossly under-appreciated in my opinion.  I'll list some other songs in this movie that were just beautiful - within the movie and out.

Songs:

Enjoy! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment