Monday, July 5, 2010

Books - Open: Andre Agassi's Biography


I started reading this book a few weeks ago before we left for Hamilton Island.  My Justin is a big tennis fan, before I met him I didn't even understand how the game worked let alone who the main players were.  So when he urged me to read the biography, I didn't honestly think I'd enjoy it very much.  Now that I've finished it, I can't tell you that I like tennis more than when I began, but I did enjoy it for what it was - another person's life.   It was particularly interesting because of Agassi's confession of hating the game that brought him so much fame, success and even love with his wife of 9 years, Steffi Graf.


He was the american saviour of tennis in his heyday.  The chicks loved him and the guys wanted to be him.  I can't believe he seriously got around with a mullet back in the day but there's the 90's for you I guess.  Most of all it's crazy how important this signature look was to him, since it wasn't even his own natural hair!  I think the best thing he got out of his relationship with Brooke Shields was her suggestion to shave that atrocity off and get rid of the guise.  Which of course brings me to my next point about the book - the Nikon ad that allowed the press to slaughter his character because of one catch phrase not even created by Agassi but written into a script by the company - 'Image is Everything'.  Watch the ad here.

I also found this interview by 60 minutes in America interesting, he seems to me to be a very genuine and likeable person.  I think most people can relate to not being happy with what we've got in life, I don't think that just because someone is rich that it doesn't give them the right to lament their lack of choice in life.  I also like that Agassi has given back a lot, reading about his education foundation and prep school was really interesting, given his lack of being able to have a proper education.

No comments:

Post a Comment